Long Island beats St. Francis 89-80Jan 10, 2010 - 1:10 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Jaytornah Wisseh scored 28 points as Long Island University defeated St. Francis (Pa.) 89-80 on Saturday to remain unbeaten in the Northeast Conference.
Kyle Johnson added 20 points and David Hicks had 13 for the Blackbirds (6-9, 4-0), who are off to their best conference start since opening 5-0 in 1996-97 when they played in the NCAA tournament.
After a close first half with six ties, Hicks hit a 3-pointer with 6:19 to play to give the Blackbirds their largest lead at 70-57. St. Francis could get no closer than six points the rest of the way.
The Blackbirds shot 58 percent (29-for-50) for the game and were 14-for-21 (66.7 percent) in the second half. Wisseh made 8 of 12 field goals and was 11 of 14 from the free throw line.
Sorena Orandi led the Red Flash (4-11, 2-2) with 20 points. Devin Sweetney added 17 points and Cedric Latimer had 10.
- Texas breezes past St. Francis Nov 26
- Longhorns put perfect mark on line versus Red Flash Nov 25
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Kentucky shoots the lights out against Long Island Nov 24
- St. Francis (PA) names Krimmel head men's basketball coach Apr 19
- LIU promotes Perri to head coach Apr 11
- Green's triple-double leads MSU past Long Island Mar 17
- Spartans hope to avoid upset in NCAA Tourney clash with Blackbirds Mar 16
- Long Island handles Robert Morris for NEC title Mar 7