Western Michigan dumps Eastern Michigan 61-47Jan 9, 2010 - 11:52 PM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- David Kool scored 19 points and Western Michigan got off to a hot start to beat Eastern Michigan 61-47 in a Mid-American Conference opener Saturday.
Mike Douglas added 10 points and Martelle McLemore had a game-high 12 rebounds for the Broncos (9-5, 1-0.)
Carlos Medlock scored 16 points to lead the Eagles (8-6, 0-1).
Western Michigan shot only 34.5 percent (19 of 55), but that was much better than the Eagles' 26.4 percent (14 of 53).
The Broncos broke on top 22-4, and the Eagles did not manage double figures until Medlock sank a free throw with 3:23 left in the half to cut it to 29-10.
Western Michigan led 31-18 at the break.
The Eagles closed within 31-24, but the Broncos put up a 13-5 run to make it 44-29 with 12:02 left, and the lead stayed in double figures the rest of the way.
- Eastern Michigan cruises past NAIA Rochester (Mich) 86-58 Dec 8
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- No. 25 Michigan State beats EMU Dec 18
- Spartans set sights on soaring Eagles Dec 17
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Syracuse cruises past Eastern Michigan Dec 31
- Eagles hoping to soar past second-ranked Orange Dec 31
- Parker, Duke cruise past Eastern Michigan Dec 28
- Ninth-ranked Blue Devils set sights on Eagles Dec 28