Iona has no problems with Rider in 69-49 winJan 9, 2010 - 10:59 PM LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J.(AP) -- Scott Machado scored a career-high 24 points and Alejo Rodriguez had 17 rebounds to lead Iona to a 69-49 victory over Rider on Saturday.
Machado, a sophomore, hit six field goals and was 11-for-14 from the line to break his previous career high of 20, set against Norfolk State on Nov. 21.
His jumper gave the Gaels (10-6, 2-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) a 27-21 lead with 5:13 left in the first half, and he followed that with a free throw for a 28-22 advantage. Machado hit two more free throws for a 37-26 halftime lead.
Rider (9-8, 2-3) cut the lead to 45-38 on Ryan Thompson's free throws with 10:17 to play in the game, but could get no closer. The Broncs shot only 33.3 percent from the field (7-for-21) in the second half.
Rashon Dwight scored 12 and Mike McFadden added 10 for the Broncs.
Thompson scored 14 points and Justin Robinson added 10 for Rider.
- NCAA BB
RIDER 49 FINAL
Jan 9 5:11 PM
- NCAA BB
RIDER 26 HALFTIME
Jan 9 4:12 PM
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Correction: T25-Rider-Maryland story Nov 23
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- No. 20 Michigan State trounces Rider Nov 28
- Orlando Classic action pits Spartans against Broncs Nov 27