Southern U defeats Grambling State 73-67Jan 10, 2010 - 5:16 AM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Earnest Jones scored 18 points to lead Southern University to a 73-67 win over Grambling State on Saturday night.
Jones added seven rebounds for the Jaguars (3-12, 1-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who snapped a two-game losing streak. Norm Nixon Jr. finished with 16 points and eight rebounds in the win.
Two made free throws from Nixon tied the game at 62 with 4:24 remaining. The free throws sparked a 12-0 run for the Jaguars, and a layup from Jones made the score 72-62 with 41 seconds remaining.
Lance Fuertado led Grambling State (3-8, 1-2) with 26 points on 10 of 20 shooting. George Akpele chipped in with 16 points and six rebounds.
The Jaguars shot only 55.6 percent from the free throw line (15-for-27), but outrebounded the Tigers 43-31.
Southern's bench outscored Grambling State's 21-3.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN 73 FINAL
Jan 9 11:03 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN 42 HALFTIME
Jan 9 9:52 PM
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22