Eastern Kentucky beats Tennessee Tech 78-73Jan 10, 2010 - 3:59 AM COOKEVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Justin Stommes scored 22 points and Eastern Kentucky scored the final five points of the game to defeat Tennessee Tech 78-73 on Saturday night.
Stommes was 8-for-11 from the field, Willie Cruz was 8-for-8 for 19 points and the Colonels (11-6, 4-2 Ohio Valley Conference) shot 72.7 percent (16-for-22) in the second half.
Tennessee Tech (7-9, 1-4) pulled within 73-72 on Frank Davis' 3-pointer with 2:12 left, but didn't score another basket. Stommes hit a jumper to push the lead to 75-72 and Cruz finished Eastern Kentucky's scoring with a layup and free throw.
Josh Taylor added 15 points and Papa Oppong scored 14 for the Colonels.
Davis scored 25 points and Kevin Murphy added 13 for Tennessee Tech, which shot 60 percent from the field (18-for-30) in the second half and 54.7 for the game (54.7 percent).
The Colonels hit 12 3-pointers and Tennessee Tech had 10.
- Tennessee Tech overtakes Robert Morris in 85-72 win Nov 27
- Tennessee Tech rips Piedmont College, 110-72 Nov 14
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Wisconsin (12-0) off to best start in school history Dec 14