Georgia Southern upsets Western Carolina 81-76Jan 9, 2010 - 11:33 PM STATESBORO, Ga.(AP) -- Willie Powers scored 19 points and Georgia Southern snapped an eight-game losing streak with an 81-76 upset of Western Carolina on Saturday.
Rory Spencer and Antonio Hanson each scored 18 points for the Eagles (4-13, 1-3 Southern Conference). All of Hanson's points came on 3-point shots.
The Eagles broke open a close game with a 16-0 run in the first half to lead 32-17 after a layup by Spencer with 5:41 remaining in the half. The Eagles led 39-33 at halftime and never trailed afterward.
The Eagles led 77-76 with 54 seconds remaining in the game before closing out with a 5-0 run. Powers scored four points in that stretch.
The Catamounts (12-3, 2-1), who had only lost to Clemson and Texas before Saturday, were led by Kendall Russell with 18 points. Brandon Giles added 13 points, Jake Robinson had 12 and Mike Williams had 10.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 76
GA SOUTHERN 81 FINAL
Jan 9 5:48 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 33
GA SOUTHERN 39 HALFTIME
Jan 9 4:28 PM
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4