Mercer defeats East Tennessee State 83-78Jan 9, 2010 - 11:54 PM MACON, Ga.(AP) -- James Florence scored 22 points and Mercer beat East Tennessee State 83-78 on Saturday, the first win in nine series meetings for the Bears.
Jeff Smith added 17 points, E.J. Kusnyer had 15 and Daniel Emerson 13 for the Bears (8-8, 4-2 Atlantic Sun Conference), who have won four straight games.
The Bears led 73-53 with 4:42 remaining in the game, but the Buccaneers went on a 25-10 run the rest of the way.
Strong shooting kept Mercer in front, especially in the second half. The Bears were 7 of 13 from 3-point range (53.8 percent) in the second half and were 12-for-28 (42.9 percent) for the game from behind the arc.
Mercer shot 49.1 percent from the field (27-for-55).
Sheldon Coley had a game-high 29 points for the Buccaneers (8-8, 4-1). He made 11 of 22 field goal attempts and was 6-for-8 from the foul line. Micah Williams added 18 points and Justin Tubbs had 12.
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Florida Gulf Coast downs Mercer for Atlantic Sun Tournament crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears clash for A-Sun title Mar 9
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9