Palmer lifts Corpus Christi to 64-59 victoryJan 10, 2010 - 12:46 AM CONWAY, Ark.(AP) -- Kevin Palmer scored eight points during a late 10-0 run by Texas A&M Corpus Christi as the Islanders defeated Central Arkansas 64-59 Saturday in the Southland Conference opener for both teams.
Palmer, who finished with 23 points, hit a pair of free throws with 1:50 remaining to break a 51-51 tie and send Corpus Christi on its game-deciding run. Eight of the 10 points for the Islanders came from the free-throw line - a dunk by Palmer being the lone basket. Palmer was 6 for 6 from the line during the stretch.
Demond Watt added 12 points and 11 rebounds for Corpus Christi (6-8).
Chris Poellnitz had 17 points and Mitch Rueter 14 for Central Arkansas (6-9), which hit only 3 of 14 free throws in the game.
The Bears scored the first eight points of the game and led 29-20 with 2:50 left in the first half before Corpus Christi went on an 8-0 before halftime.
- No. 21 Nebraska takes care of Central Arkansas Nov 19
- Bears hope to claw way past 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 18
- No. 24 Cowboys set sights on Bears Dec 16
- UNLV drops 124 on overmatched Central Arkansas Dec 29
- Central Arkansas seeks upset of No. 19 UNLV Dec 28
- Turner helps Aggies down Islanders Nov 26
- No.25 Aggies host Islanders in College Station Nov 26
- No. 16 Memphis edges Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Dec 21
- Missouri crushes Central Arkansas Dec 18
- Jayhawks cruise to school-record 63rd consecutive home win Nov 23
- Williamson taking over at Cent. Arkansas Mar 12
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 53, Stephen F.Austin 60 Mar 11