Simpson scores 19, Hampton tops Coppin State 69-67Jan 10, 2010 - 3:01 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Vincent Simpson scored 19 points and Christopher Tolson scored the winning basket as Hampton defeated Coppin State 69-67 on Saturday night.
Tolson scored on a layup to lift the Pirates (4-10, 1-1 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) to victory after the Eagles (5-8, 0-2) had come back from a 66-57 deficit with a 10-1 run, capped by Branden Doughty's dunk.
Hampton led 37-35 at the half and the game was tied 49-49 with 12:54 left. Darrion Pellum scored the next five points on a layup, a tip-in and a free throw to give the Pirates a 54-49 lead at the 10:52 mark.
Michael Freeman scored 15 points and Charles Funches 12 for Hampton, and each had 10 rebounds. Pellum scored eight of his 10 points in the second half.
Sam Coleman scored 14 points to lead Coppin State, and Lenny Young and Eddie Hayden added 13 points apiece.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Mitchell out at Coppin State after 28 years Mar 28
- Gonzaga cruises past Coppin State Dec 1