Youngstown State beats Loyola of Chicago 71-67Jan 10, 2010 - 2:57 AM YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio(AP) -- DeAndre Mays scored 30 points to lead Youngstown State to a 71-67 victory over Loyola of Chicago on Saturday night.
The Penguins (7-8, 2-4 Horizon League) led 64-55 on Mays' layup with 2:53 to play, but Loyola (11-5, 2-4) went on a 10-1 run to tie the score at 65 with 1:15 remaining.
Terrance Hill scored eight points in the run, but missed a free throw that would have given the Ramblers a one-point lead with 1:15 left.
Mays then converted a three-point play with 54 seconds left and Dallas Blocker added another one with 10 seconds remaining as Youngstown State finished 3-2 on a five-game homestand.
The Penguins shot 65.2 percent from the field (15-for-23) in the second half.
Kelvin Bright had 16 and Sirlester Martin scored 14 for Youngstown State.
Hill finished with 18 points, Walt Gibler scored 12, Ben Averkamp had 11 and Courtney Stanley added 10 for Loyola.
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- Warhawks and Ramblers clash in CBI championship series Mar 30
- Northern Iowa downs Loyola to reach MVC final Mar 7
- MVC semifinals pits Panthers against Ramblers Mar 7
- No. 11 UNI rolls past Loyola of Chicago Feb 18
- Ramblers welcome 11th-ranked Panthers to town Feb 18
- VanVleet powers Wichita State past Loyola-Chicago Jan 28
- Ramblers seek upset of 12th-ranked Shockers Jan 28