Clavell leads Stephen F. Austin to 66-57 victoryJan 9, 2010 - 10:50 PM HUNTSVILLE, Texas(AP) -- Gilberto Clavell had 21 points and 12 rebounds Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 66-57 victory over Stephen F. Austin in the Southland Conference opener for both teams.
Josten Crow added 14 points and 14 rebounds for Sam Houston (9-5), which prevailed despite making only 10 of 19 shots from the free-throw line and 4 of 18 from 3-point range.
Eddie Williams led Stephen F. Austin (10-4) with 20 points. Jordan Glynn added 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Sam Houston led 29-22 at halftime, but SFA battled back to take a three-point lead with 14:27 to play in the second half.
After 10 lead changes, the last with 6:26 remaining, the Bearkats ended the game with a 16-8 run. Preston Brown scored the go-ahead basket on a jumper to give Sam Houston a 50-49 lead.
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 66 FINAL
Jan 9 5:07 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 29 HALFTIME
Jan 9 3:50 PM
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- Poeltl helps Utah down Stephen F. Austin Mar 20
- Utes face Lumberjacks in second round Mar 19
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- UCLA tops Stephen F. Austin for Sweet 16 berth Mar 23
- Lumberjacks face tall task in clash with Bruins Mar 23
- Stephen F. Austin stuns VCU in overtime Mar 22
- Rams butt heads with Lumberjacks in tournament action Mar 21
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16