New Orleans 57, North Texas 71Jan 10, 2010 - 1:45 AM DENTON, Texas (AP) -- Josh White scored 21 points and Tristan Thompson added 18 as North Texas defeated New Orleans 71-57 on Saturday.
Thompson, a reserve, helped the Mean Green (10-6, 3-3 Sun Belt) outscore the Privateers 26-8 in bench points.
Charles Carmouche and Carl Blair each scored 15 points to lead New Orleans (6-11, 1-5).
White, a junior guard, scored his 1,000th career point in the second half. He reached the milestone with 14:37 to play when he scored on a wraparound layup. He was fouled on the play and hit the free throw to put North Texas up 48-36.
The Mean Green led 36-27 at halftime and pushed their advantage to as many as 20 in the second half. An 11-2 run put North Texas ahead 70-50 with 2:40 remaining.
George Odufuwa added nine points and nine rebounds for the Mean Green, who scored 16 points off 15 turnovers by the Privateers.
- Qualls leads Arkansas over North Texas Nov 29
- Razorbacks hope to continue fast start against Mean Green Nov 28
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Butler downs New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Butler seeks ninth straight win in clash with New Orleans Jan 5
- McDermott leads Bluejays past North Texas Nov 10
- North Texas pays visit to No. 16 Creighton Nov 9
- Benford named North Texas head coach Apr 25
- WKU wins Sun Belt bid, goes dancing at 15-18 Mar 7
- Hilltoppers and Mean Green collide in Sun Belt title game Mar 6
- Moultrie, No. 24 MSU easily beat North Texas Nov 27