Chicago St. 43, Utah Valley St. 48Jan 10, 2010 - 4:53 AM OREM, Utah (AP) -- Corey Claitt had a game-high 20 points as Utah Valley was able to defeat Chicago State 48-43 on Saturday night in the Great West Conference opener for both teams.
Jordain Scoubes added nine points and eight rebounds for Utah Valley (7-8, 1-0).
Chicago State (5-12, 0-1) was led by Carl Montgomery's double-double, 14 points and 11 rebounds. Victor Scott added 12 points.
Chicago State led 27-19 at the half. The Wolverines opened the second half with a 15-5 run to take a 34-32 lead with 10:49 left. The Wolverines would lose that lead and trail most of the way until the final 55-seconds when they went ahead 43-41.
This win snaps a three game losing streak for Utah Valley and extends their home winning streak to four. This is also the fourth consecutive win for the Wolverines over Chicago State.
The Cougars have now lost their last nine road games.
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- No. 3 Arizona makes short work of Utah Valley Dec 10
- Wolverines hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 9
- Brawl ends Utah Valley-New Mexico State game Feb 28
- Oregon routs Utah Valley Nov 20
- Utah Valley challenges No. 17 Oregon Nov 19
- Smart helps Oklahoma State ease past Utah Valley Nov 12
- Utah Valley visits No. 8 Oklahoma State Nov 12
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- No. 10 Ohio State rolls past Chicago State Dec 29
- Chicago State comes calling on No. 10 Ohio State Dec 29