South Dakota State holds on for 72-62 winJan 10, 2010 - 5:51 AM CEDAR CITY, Utah(AP) -- Garrett Callahan came off the bench to score 19 points, including a big 3-pointer in the closing minutes, as South Dakota State held off Southern Utah 72-62 on Saturday.
The Jackrabbits (9-8, 5-1 Summit) led 32-22 at halftime and hit four 3-pointers at the beginning of the second half to help build a 47-27 lead.
Southern Utah (5-11, 1-4) whittled away at the deficit, pulling within 62-58 with 2:09 remaining on a running jump shot in the lane by Davis Baker. But on the ensuing possession, Callahan buried a 3-pointer from the left corner with the shot clock winding down to extend the lead to seven.
Clint Sargent added 16 points and Nate Wolters 12 for South Dakota State, which has won four straight.
Matt Hodgson had career highs in scoring (16 points) and rebounds (10) for the Thunderbirds. Baker also had 16 points.
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10
- Bison battle Jackrabbits in Summit League finale Mar 10
- No. 23 Northern Iowa tops South Dakota St. Dec 28
- Jackrabbits come calling on 23rd-ranked Panthers Dec 28