Wright State beats Valparaiso 59-57Jan 10, 2010 - 11:07 PM DAYTON, Ohio(AP) -- Vaughn Duggins hit a jumper with 5 seconds left, sealing an improbable 11-0 run in the game's final minutes as Wright State beat Valparaiso 59-57 on Sunday.
Duggins' game-winning shot came after Valparaiso's Matt Kenney threw the ball away under the hoop with 34 seconds left. The shot capped an 11-0 run in the game's final 7 minutes for the Raiders, who held the Crusaders scoreless for the duration, forcing two key turnovers in the game's final minute.
Corey Cooperwood scored seven points during the spree.
Brandon McPherson scored the final five points for the Crusaders just 50 seconds apart, hitting a 3 and a layup, giving them a 57-48 lead with 7:09 to play.
Duggins finished with 18 points while Cooperwood added 12 points and grabbed 14 boards for the Raiders (11-6, 4-2 Horizon League).
Cory Johnson paced the Crusaders (6-11, 1-4) with 17 points.
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Ohio State throttles Wright State Dec 28
- Raiders come calling on 21st-ranked Buckeyes Dec 27
- Milwaukee earns NCAA berth with Horizon League title Mar 11