Miami (Ohio) defeats Kent State 55-53 in OTJan 13, 2010 - 3:04 AM OXFORD, Ohio(AP) -- Kenny Hayes scored 19 points and went 4-for-4 from the free throw line in overtime to lift Miami (Ohio) to a 55-53 victory over Kent State on Tuesday night.
Hayes' second of two free throws with 1:32 left in overtime gave the RedHawks (4-11, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) a 52-51 lead and they never trailed again to snap a four-game losing streak.
Hayes added two more free throws for a 54-51 lead with 54 seconds left and Rodney Haddix made one with 6 seconds remaining to send Kent State (10-6, 1-1) to its second loss in six games.
The Golden Flashes led by 13 points in the first half and 11 in the second, but Miami tied the score at 47 on Hayes' 3-pointer with 1:09 left.
Julian Mavunga scored nine straight points for the RedHawks in the second half and finished with 13. Antonio Ballard had 11 rebounds.
Tyree Evans led Kent State with 23 points.
- NCAA BB
KENT ST 53
MIAMI OH 55 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 12 9:13 PM
- NCAA BB
KENT ST 24
MIAMI OH 11 HALFTIME
Jan 12 7:52 PM
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- No. 21 Buckeyes overwhelm RedHawks Dec 22
- Buckeyes seek turnaround in clash with RedHawks Dec 22
- Williams, UMass down Miami-Ohio Jan 5
- RedHawks hit road seeking upset of 23rd-ranked Minutemen Jan 4
- Grant leads No. 21 Notre Dame past Miami-Ohio Nov 9
- Irish tip season off against RedHawks Nov 8
- Miami-Ohio guard Moore suspended 9 games Nov 6
- Former Miami-Ohio coach Coles dies Jun 7
- Miami-Ohio F Edwards out for season Nov 28
- No. 2 Louisville throttles Miami-Ohio in early tune-up Nov 18