Conyers scores 16 as Akron holds off Ohio 67-62Jan 14, 2010 - 3:04 AM ATHENS, Ohio(AP) -- Jimmy Conyers had his fourth career double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds as Akron held off Ohio 67-62 on Wednesday night.
The Zips (12-4, 2-0 Mid-American Conference) have won eight of their last nine games, while the Bobcats (9-7, 0-2) have lost three of their last four.
Akron led by as many as 13 points in the first half and took a 36-30 lead into the break. Armon Bassett, who tied his career high with 25 points, scored six of Ohio's first nine points in the second half to help tie the score at 39. The Bobcats built a four-point lead that dwindled to 57-56, then the Zips used a 9-2 run to pull ahead for good.
Bassett, who was 9-for-10 from the free throw line, hit the second of two foul shots with 27 seconds left to draw within 65-62, but Brett McKnight hit two free throws to clinch the win.
Akron, which leads the league in made 3-pointers (7.4), was 6-for-20.
- Phillips leaves North Dakota State for Ohio U Apr 6
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- UMass moves to 10-0 by subduing Ohio Dec 19
- Ohio hoping to knock UMass from ranks of the unbeaten Dec 18
- Buckeyes survive upset-minded Ohio Nov 12
- Bobcats battle 10th-ranked Buckeyes Nov 12
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- Ohio U cancels basketball game amid campus scare Jan 30