Mercer holds off South Carolina-Upstate 60-57Jan 16, 2010 - 3:14 AM SPARTANBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Daniel Emerson scored 17 points and James Florence added 15 as Mercer held off South Carolina-Upstate 60-57 on Friday night, sending the Spartans to their 10th straight loss.
The Bears (9-8, 5-2 Atlantic Sun Conference), who had lost in two previous trips to S.C-Upstate, won their fifth game in a row.
Mercer erased a 12-5 S.C.-Upstate lead with a 15-3 run to pull ahead 20-15. The Spartans (1-15, 1-6) held the Bears to only two points in the final 4:35 of the first half and trailed 32-30 at the break.
After tying the score at 32, the Spartans were limited to a Mezie Uzochukwu 3-pointer during a 10-minute stretch as Mercer built a 48-35 lead.
S.C.-Upstate drew within 50-48 with 4:39 left, but could get no closer.
Mercer outshot S.C.-Upstate from the field 43.8 percent (21-for-48) to 30.4 percent (21-for-69).
Nick Schneiders led the Spartans with 21 points.
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 57 FINAL
Jan 15 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 30 HALFTIME
Jan 15 7:54 PM
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Florida Gulf Coast downs Mercer for Atlantic Sun Tournament crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears clash for A-Sun title Mar 9
- No. 25 New Mexico stomps Mercer Nov 29