Jones, Portland State top Northern Colorado 85-69Jan 16, 2010 - 5:11 AM PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) -- Melvin Jones scored a game-high 18 points to lead Portland State to an 85-69 victory over Northern Colorado on Friday night.
Dominic Waters scored 16 points for the Vikings (8-9, 3-2 Big Sky), and Julius Thomas had 15 off the bench. Jamie Jones added 11 points and 13 rebounds for Portland State, which beat Northern Colorado for the 11th straight time and snapped the Bears' six-game winning streak.
Will Figures led Northern Colorado (15-4, 4-2) with 12 points. Chris Kaba added 11, while Devon Beitzel and Neal Kingman each scored 10.
Portland State jumped to a 12-2 advantage and never trailed. They put the game away early in the second half with a 16-5 run and led 58-42 with 12:46 to play after Jones connected on a 3-pointer. Northern Colorado never got closer than eight the rest of the way.
The Vikings outshot the Bears 41 to 39 percent.
- Boise State assistant named head coach at Northern Colorado May 1
- Northern Colorado fires men's basketball coach B.J. Hill Apr 21
- Wichita State routs Northern Colorado Dec 9
- 24th-ranked Shockers play host to struggling Bears Dec 8
- Oklahoma State handles Portland State Nov 25
- Vikings hope to navigate past 20th-ranked Cowboys Nov 25
- Marquette, minus Johnson-Odom, routs Northern Colorado Dec 17
- Bears try to clip wings of 11th-ranked Golden Eagles Dec 17
- Aztecs begin tourney with rout of Northern Colorado Mar 17
- Northern Colorado wins Big Sky to reach first NCAA tourney Mar 9
- Tisdale, Richardson, guide Illinois past Northern Colorado Dec 12
- Northern Colorado moves quickly to replace Boyle Apr 20