Morgan State defeats South Carolina State 72-67Jan 17, 2010 - 3:17 AM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Kevin Thompson scored 14 points and grabbed 20 rebounds to lead Morgan State to a 72-67 win over South Carolina State on Saturday night.
DeWayne Jackson added 19 points for the Bears (11-7, 4-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won nine straight MEAC games dating to last season.
Two free throws from Reggie Holmes gave Morgan State a 70-65 lead with 23 seconds left. The Bulldogs (7-7, 1-2) then missed three consecutive layups on the following possession before Arsenio Williams finally made a tip-in to cut the lead to three points with only 10 seconds left.
Morgan State's Troy Smith was then fouled, and he made both free throws to secure the victory for the Bears.
Williams paced the Bulldogs with 13 points and Jason Flagler added 12 points and 11 rebounds. South Carolina State has lost five of its last six games.
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 72
S CAROLINA ST 67 FINAL
Jan 16 9:17 PM
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 23
S CAROLINA ST 34 HALFTIME
Jan 16 8:03 PM
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16