Iowa beats Penn State 67-64 for 1st Big Ten winJan 16, 2010 - 8:23 PM By LUKE MEREDITH AP Sports Writer
IOWA CITY, Iowa(AP) -- Sophomore Aaron Fuller scored 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as Iowa held off Penn State 67-64 on Saturday for its first Big Ten victory of the season.
Matt Gatens added 14 points for the Hawkeyes (7-11, 1-4), who have strung together back-to-back wins for the first time in nearly a month.
Penn State's Talor Battle hit a pair of layups to pull the Nittany Lions within 63-62 with 9.5 seconds left. But Gatens answered with two free throws to hold Penn State at bay.
For the second straight game, Fuller carried the Hawkeyes. He had career highs of 24 points and 10 rebounds Tuesday night to lead Iowa past Tennessee State 67-62.
Battle had a game-high 31 points for Penn State (8-9, 0-5), which is off to its worst start in league play since opening 0-10 under former coach Jerry Dunn in 2003.
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 64
IOWA 67 FINAL
Jan 16 3:09 PM
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 28
IOWA 31 HALFTIME
Jan 16 1:48 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23