Howard beats North Carolina A&T 82-77Jan 17, 2010 - 12:07 AM GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Calvin Thompson scored a career-high 33 points to lead Howard to an 82-77 victory over North Carolina A&T on Saturday.
Thompson shot 9-for-15 from the field and 12-for-15 from the free-throw line for the Bison (4-14, 3-1 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference). Curtis White added 18 points, as he and Thompson made three 3-pointers each.
The Bison held a 49-37 lead at halftime. A free throw from White capped a 6-0 run and extended their lead to 55-37 with 17:27 remaining in the second half.
The Aggies (5-12, 1-3) battled back, though, and Tavarus Alston's layup capped a 9-0 run to make the score 66-61 with 8:34 remaining. But Howard never gave up their lead, shooting 7-for-10 from the free-throw line in the final 2 minutes to secure the win.
Alston scored 19 points to lead North Carolina A&T.
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- Top-seeded Louisville cruises past N.C. A&T Mar 21
- Top-seeded Cardinals get tournament run underway against Aggies Mar 20
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16
- Kilpatrick, Bearcats thump Aggies Nov 18
- Aggies face tall task in clash with 24th-ranked Bearcats Nov 18
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30