East Tennessee State tops Florida Gulf Coast 73-51Jan 17, 2010 - 12:38 AM JOHNSON CITY, Tenn.(AP) -- Tommy Hubbard scored 21 points and East Tennessee State held Florida Gulf Coast to 10 points in the first half of a 73-51 victory on Saturday.
After trailing 5-3 early, the Buccaneers (9-9, 5-2 Atlantic Sun Conference) outscored the Eagles 31-5 for the remainder of the half, including a 17-0 run, to lead 34-10 at halftime. It was the lowest first-half point total for an East Tennessee State opponent this season.
East Tennessee State increased its lead to as many as 33 points in the second half, 65-32 with 7:30 remaining, and the Buccaneers ultimately forced the Eagles (5-12, 2-6) into 26 turnovers.
Hubbard added nine rebounds and three assists for East Tennessee State and Justin Tubbs scored 15 points.
Anthony Banks had 15 points and 12 rebounds to lead Florida Gulf Coast. He made 7 of 9 shots, but his teammates were 11-for-42.
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 51
EAST TENN ST 73 FINAL
Jan 16 6:08 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 10
EAST TENN ST 34 HALFTIME
Jan 16 4:54 PM
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25
- Upstart Eagles take on Aztecs in South Regional dust-up Mar 23
- Shocking debut: FGCU sends Georgetown packing Mar 23
- Hoyas set sights on upstart Eagles in South Regional matchup Mar 21