Sam Houston State defeats SE Louisiana 84-79Jan 16, 2010 - 11:30 PM HAMMOND, La.(AP) -- Ashton Mitchell scored 24 points and Sam Houston State defeated Southeastern Louisiana 84-79 on Saturday.
The Bearkats (10-6, 2-0 Southland Conference) trailed 78-77 with 1:21 remaining, before outscoring the Lions 7-1 over the last minute.
Gilberto Clavell tied the game on the first of two free throws with 58 seconds to go. After Clavell missed the second, Preston Brown came down with the offensive rebound and followed with a dunk to give Sam Houston State an 80-78 lead with 56 seconds remaining.
Damon Forest made one of two free throws 19 seconds later to pull the Lions (10-6, 2-1) within one point. But the Bearkats made four straight free throws the rest of the way to seal the win.
Clavell finished with 18 points and Corey Almond added 17 for Sam Houston State.
Gary Dixon scored 24 points and Forest finished with 16 for the Lions, who improved to 9-0 at home.
SAM HOUSTON ST 84
SE LOUISIANA 79 FINAL
Jan 16 6:09 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 38
SE LOUISIANA 35 HALFTIME
Jan 16 4:51 PM
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- No. 9 Gonzaga takes down SELA Dec 3
- Lions hope to take down ninth-ranked Bulldogs Dec 2
- No. 19 Sooners rip through SE Louisiana Nov 16
- Sooners open season against visiting Lions Nov 16
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- No. 8 Florida cruises past Southeastern Louisiana Dec 19
- Gators seek redemption in clash with visiting Lions Dec 19
- Top-ranked Indiana blasts Sam Houston State Nov 15