Drake easily defeats Illinois State 69-59Jan 18, 2010 - 3:43 AM DES MOINES, Iowa(AP) -- Josh Young scored 18 points and Adam Templeton finished with 17 points and 14 rebounds as Drake defeated Illinois State 69-59 Sunday night.
The Bulldogs (8-11, 3-4 Missouri Valley) took command of the game early then held on in the closing minutes.
Osiris Eldridge scored 26 points, all in the second half, to lead the Redbirds (13-5, 4-3).
Drake, which never trailed, took a 16-6 lead on a 3-pointer by Templeton with 7:31 left in the first half and led by double digits the rest of the way. The Bulldogs were up 35-15 at halftime and then scored the first five points of the second half for their largest advantage, 40-15.
Illinois State put together runs of 10-1 and 9-3 in the second half but couldn't get any closer than 12 until the final minute.
Ryan Wedel added 14 points for Drake.
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- No. 15 Wichita State tops Illinois State Feb 14
- Redbirds seek upset of 15th-ranked Shockers Feb 14
- No. 13 UNI overwhelms Illinois State Feb 11
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- Northern Iowa survives against Illinois State Jan 25