Winthrop 53, N.C.-Asheville 66Jan 22, 2010 - 3:07 AM ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Sean Smith scored 20 points to lead North Carolina-Asheville to a 66-53 victory over Winthrop on Thursday.
Smith went 6-for-9 from the 3-point line to help the Bulldogs (7-12, 4-4 Big South Conference) win their fourth consecutive game.
Smith hit four of his 3-pointers in the first 5 minutes of the second half to help UNC-Asheville open a 44-34 lead. Chris Stephenson hit a tip-in for a 46-34 advantage with 15:13 to play and the Bulldogs extended their lead to 50-34 with 10:02 remaining.
They also held Winthrop without a point for 7:02, a drought that ended on Gideon Gamble's layup with 9:04 left.
Matt Dickey added 11 points for UNC-Asheville. J.P. Primm, who had reached double figures in eight consecutive games, was held to three points.
Mantoris Robinson scored 11 points and Matt Morgan added 10 for Winthrop (8-10, 4-4), which had won three straight games.
- NCAA BB
UNC ASHEVILLE 66 FINAL
Jan 21 8:52 PM
- NCAA BB
UNC ASHEVILLE 30 HALFTIME
Jan 21 7:53 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Parker and Duke beat up UNC-Asheville Nov 18
- Duke entertains UNC Asheville in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 18
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16
- No. 1 Kentucky beats UNC-Asheville by 32 Nov 8