Indiana holds off Penn State 67-61Jan 22, 2010 - 2:37 AM By GENARO C. ARMAS AP Sports Writer
STATE COLLEGE, Pa.(AP) -- Verdell Jones III hit two late long jumpers, Devan Dumes scored 10 of his 15 points in the second half and Indiana held off Penn State 67-61 on Thursday night for its first road win of the season.
The Hoosiers (9-9, 3-3 Big Ten) led by nine with 6:20 left but couldn't shake Penn State and guard Talor Battle, who had a game-high 22 despite being hobbled by a left ankle twisted earlier in the week.
Andrew Ott's layup got Penn State (8-10, 0-6) within three, but Jones nailed a 3 with a defender in his face to get the lead back to 63-57 with 2:58 left, and another jumper more than a minute later to put the Hoosiers up eight.
The Nittany Lions erased an early 11-point deficit and tied the game at 40 after an end-to-end layup by Battle and a foul shot by Chris Babb with 13-plus minutes left.
But Dumes scored seven of Indiana's next 10 points to frustrate Penn State.
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 61 FINAL
Jan 21 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 28 HALFTIME
Jan 21 7:47 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14