Louisiana-Lafayette defeats New Orleans 70-53Jan 22, 2010 - 4:54 AM LAFAYETTE, La.(AP) -- Chris Gradnigo scored 23 points, Tyren Johnson added 21 and Louisiana-Lafayette used a big second half run to beat New Orleans 70-53 on Thursday night.
The pair outscored New Orleans (7-12, 2-6 Sun Belt Conference) 20-0 during a 5:05 stretch midway through the second half.
After the Privateers took a 36-29 lead on Carl Blair's three-point play with 16:50 left, the Ragin' Cajuns (7-11, 4-3) went on their big run, capped by Johnson's jumper with 10:45 to go.
Louisiana-Lafayette shot 52.9 percent from the field in the second half (18 of 34), compared to 27.8 percent (5 of 18) by New Orleans.
The Privateers had a season-high 22 turnovers, leading to 24 points for the Ragin' Cajuns.
Blair scored 12 points and Ejike Hart and Charles Carmouche added 10 apiece for New Orleans. The Privateers lost their 13th straight and 15th straight at Louisiana-Lafayette's Cajundome.
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7
- Chery leads Baylor past Louisiana Nov 17
- Cajuns come calling on 23rd-ranked Bears Nov 17
- Butler downs New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Butler seeks ninth straight win in clash with New Orleans Jan 5