Abdul-Hamid's shot sends UCLA by Washington, 62-61Jan 22, 2010 - 6:02 AM LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Seldom-used Mustafa Abdul-Hamid hit a jumper from the top of the key as time expired to lift UCLA to a 62-61 victory over Washington on Thursday night.
Venoy Overton's basket with 3.2 seconds to play gave the Huskies a 61-60 lead before the Bruins hurried downcourt and Abdul-Hamid, a junior who entered Thursday with only 24 points in 10 games, became a hero. The officials watched the replay to confirm that Abdul-Hamid's shot came before the buzzer.
Freshman Reeves Nelson led the Bruins (8-10, 3-3 Pac-10) with 16 points and six rebounds, and Malcolm Lee added 13 points. Abdul-Hamid scored four points.
Quincy Pondexter had 23 points and Isaiah Thomas 11 for the Huskies (12-6, 3-4).
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WASHINGTON 41 20 61
UCLA 37 25 62 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: WASHINGTON - QUINCY PONDEXTER 23, ISAIAH THOMAS 11,
SCOTT SUGGS 8
UCLA - REEVES NELSON 16, MALCOLM LEE 13, NIKOLA
Jan 22 12:43 AM
- NCAA BB
UCLA 37 HALFTIME
Jan 21 11:28 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Washington's Murray, Chriss declare for NBA draft Mar 23
- Why Washington? ACC flexes muscles in big basketball market Mar 8
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Syracuse basketball rallies for ailing Dwayne Washington Mar 1
- Romar reprimanded by Pac-12 for comments after Huskies loss Feb 26
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out Feb 9
- Andrews putting together star season for surprising Huskies Feb 2
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- It's early but Washington the only undefeated team in Pac-12 Jan 13
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8