Zampier leads Yale to 71-63 win over BrownJan 23, 2010 - 3:12 AM PROVIDENCE, R.I.(AP) -- Alex Zampier had 22 points and four steals to help Yale defeat Brown 71-63 on Friday night and gain a split of the season series.
Greg Mangano finished with 12 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks for the Bulldogs.
Yale (7-12, 1-1 Ivy League) led 37-27 at halftime, but the Bears (7-12, 1-1) pulled within 55-54 with 6:55 to go on a layup by Matt Mullery.
The Bulldogs built a six-point lead at 66-60 with 1:12 left on a Zampier 15-footer, but Mullery scored on a three-point play to make it 66-63. Yale then closed out the game on a 5-0 run.
Mullery led the Bears with 19 points and nine rebounds and Garrett Leffelman had a career-high 15 points, going 3-for-4 from 3-point range.
Brown took a 75-66 win on Jan. 15 and was hoping to sweep the series for the first time since 2005, while Yale was trying to avoid its first 0-2 Ivy League start since the 2004-05 season.
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12