Middle Tennessee St beats Western Kentucky 84-74Jan 23, 2010 - 8:44 PM BOWLING GREEN, Ky.(AP) -- Desmond Yates scored 28 points and became Middle Tennessee State's all-time leading scorer in an 84-74 victory over Western Kentucky on Saturday.
Yates passed Robert Taylor with 1,629 career points for the Blue Raiders (11-10, 6-3 Sun Belt Conference), who used an 11-0 run to take a 55-40 lead and pull away from the Hilltoppers (11-8, 4-4).
The Blue Raiders shot 54.2 percent from the floor (26-for-48) and went 9 of 13 from beyond the arc.
James Washington scored 18 points, Montarrio Haddock had 14 and Calvin O'Neil added 11 for Middle Tennessee.
Western Kentucky has lost three straight Sun Belt Conference games since 1998-1999 when they losing four straight. Middle Tennessee beat the Hilltoppers for the first time in Bowling Green since 1977.
Steffphon Pettigrew led Western Kentucky with 22 points and a game-high nine rebounds. A.J. Slaughter had 20 points.
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 84
WKU 74 FINAL
Jan 23 3:17 PM
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 33
WKU 30 HALFTIME
Jan 23 1:49 PM
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- No. 16 Florida races past Middle Tennessee Nov 22
- Blue Raiders put perfect mark on line against 16th-ranked Gators Nov 21
- Hail to the Gaels; Saint Mary's tops MTSU to gain Memphis matchup Mar 20
- Gaels, Blue Raiders square off in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 19
- Boynton, Gators drop Blue Raiders Nov 19
- Blue Raiders and Gators clash in battle of unbeatens Nov 18