Appalachian State defeats Western Carolina 87-74Jan 23, 2010 - 11:08 PM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 28 points to lead Appalachian State to an 87-74 victory over Western Carolina on Saturday.
Sims was 9-for-11 from the field, including three 3-pointers as the Mountaineers (11-8, 5-3 Southern Conference) won for the fourth time in five games and ended Western Carolina's three-game winning streak.
Kellen Brand added 19 points for Appalachian State, which used a 13-2 run to take a 62-52 lead on Marcus Wright's layup with 8:46 left, before holding off the Catamounts (15-4, 5-2) at the free throw line.
Wright, who finished with 15 points, scored five points and Isaac Butts had four in that span.
The Mountaineers were 10-for-14 from the line in the final 2:52, scoring one field goal in the final 3:28.
Brandon Giles scored 15, Richie Gordon had 14 and Jake Robinson added 11 for the Catamounts, who were 12-for-25 from the free throw line (48 percent).
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 74
APPALACHIAN ST 87 FINAL
Jan 23 5:40 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 33
APPALACHIAN ST 35 HALFTIME
Jan 23 4:29 PM
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1