Alabama A&M defeats Southern U. 70-63Jan 24, 2010 - 1:54 AM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Cornelius Hester scored 15 points to lead Alabama A&M to a 70-63 win over Southern University on Saturday night.
Bo Amusa added 11 for the Bulldogs (5-9, 2-4 Southwestern Athletic Conference).
The Jaguars (3-16, 1-6) trailed by as many as 18 points in the second half, but cut the lead to 65-63 after two free throws from Doug Scott with 1:57 remaining in the game. But Alabama A&M outscored Southern 5-0 the rest of the way, as the Jaguars ended the game with two missed free throws, two missed field goals and a turnover.
Scott finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds to lead Southern, which has lost four straight. Julius Ingram chipped in with 12 points.
The Bulldogs outrebounded Southern 45-36 while shooting 45 percent from the field (27-for-60).
The Jaguars shot 38.2 percent (21-for-55).
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20
- Top-ranked Wildcats set sights on Jaguars Dec 19
- No. 16 Florida gets past Southern Nov 18