Sam Houston State holds on for 67-64 victoryJan 24, 2010 - 4:09 AM ARLINGTON, Texas(AP) -- Gilberto Clavell had 25 points and 10 rebounds Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 67-64 win over Texas-Arlington.
Corey Allmond added 17 points for Sam Houston State (12-5, 4-0 Southland).
Marquez Haynes, the second-leading scorer in the nation, led Arlington (8-9, 1-4) with 23 points.
Sam Houston State led 39-24 at halftime and was still up by 15 after Clavell scored with 10:24 to play. But the Bearkats made just one field goal the rest of the game, allowing Arlington to come within two points in the final minute.
Josten Crow accounted for SHSU's lone basket down the stretch, hitting a layup for a 66-62 lead with 16 seconds remaining. Two free throws by Haynes cut the lead back to two.
A Bearkats turnover gave Arlington a chance to tie or take the lead, but Brandon Long's 3-pointer from the corner with 4 seconds left missed.
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 67
TEXAS ARLINGTON 64 FINAL
Jan 23 10:09 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 39
TEXAS ARLINGTON 24 HALFTIME
Jan 23 8:54 PM
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17