Creighton gets past Missouri State 76-72Jan 25, 2010 - 3:37 AM OMAHA, Neb.(AP) -- Kenny Lawson Jr. had 20 points and Darryl Ashford added 15 as Creighton edged Missouri State 76-72 Sunday night.
Lawson's go-ahead dunk with 59 seconds left gave the Bluejays (10-10, 5-4 Missouri Valley Conference) the lead for good in the back-and-forth contest. Ashford had four free throws in the closing seconds.
Nafis Ricks led the Bears (14-6, 4-5) with a career-high 18 points. But he couldn't handle a pass from Jermaine Mallett while open under the basket with 12 seconds left in a three-point game. The ball bounced off Ricks' hands to Ashford, who hit two free throws at the other end.
Creighton led 35-34 at the break after scoring 12 of the final 14 points of the first half. There were six ties and 14 lead changes after intermission, and neither team led by more than six points during the final 20 minutes.
- NCAA BB
MISSOURI ST 72
CREIGHTON 76 FINAL
Jan 24 10:10 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSOURI ST 34
CREIGHTON 35 HALFTIME
Jan 24 8:56 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17
- Bluejays and Bulldogs meet in Big East brawl Feb 16
- Tuttle, UNI cruise past Missouri State Feb 15
- Bears face uphill climb in bout with 13th-ranked Panthers Feb 15