Marquette takes, makes 3s to swamp Rutgers 82-59Jan 27, 2010 - 4:13 AM By COLIN FLY AP Sports Writer
MILWAUKEE(AP) -- Darius Johnson-Odom scored 16 points and Maurice Acker hit 4 of 5 3-pointers for Marquette, lifting the nation's most prolific shooting team from beyond the arc to a 82-59 win over Rutgers on Tuesday night.
The Golden Eagles (12-8, 3-5 Big East) went 9 of 17 from 3-point range and are shooting a Division I-best 43.3 percent for the season. More importantly, they got a much-needed win in the Big East after losing their last two and three of four.
Marquette's Lazar Hayward had 12 points and 12 rebounds. Jimmy Butler added 16 points, Acker 14 and Joe Fulce 13.
Rutgers (9-11, 0-8) remained winless in conference play and hasn't been close to a victory, losing by an average of 19.1 points. Mike Rosario led the Scarlet Knights with 16 points.
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers basketball coach Mar 22
- AP source: Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers coach Mar 19
- Jordan fired as Rutgers basketball coach Mar 10
- Rutgers on verge of winless Big 10 Conference season Mar 3
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2