Kennesaw State holds on to beat Mercer 71-69Jan 28, 2010 - 3:00 AM MACON, Ga.(AP) -- Spencer Dixon scored the game-winning basket with 36 seconds left and Kennesaw State held off Mercer 71-69 on Wednesday night.
Dixon's layup broke a tie and Mercer's James Florence missed a layup with 27 seconds left and a 3-pointer with 3 seconds to play as the Owls (9-12, 4-6 Atlantic Sun Conference) won their third consecutive game.
Kennesaw State took a 66-59 lead on Markeith Cummings' layup with 4:51 to play, but Mercer (9-11, 5-5), which has lost three straight, rallied and took a 67-66 lead on Daniel Emerson's layup with 1:42 left.
Kurtis Woods' 3-pointer gave the Owls a 69-67 lead before Brian Mills tied the score at 69 with 1:02 left. It was the 15th tie.
Cummings finished with 25 points, Dixon scored 13 and LaDaris Green had 12 and 11 rebounds.
Emerson scored 18 and had 16 rebounds for Mercer. E.J. Kusnyer scored 16 and Florence added 13 points.
- Ray, Kennesaw State pull away for 69-59 win over Thomas (Ga) Dec 7
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Kennesaw State names Al Skinner men's hoops coach Apr 26
- Kennesaw State fires hoops coach Lallathin Mar 23
- No. 15 Butler cruises past Kennesaw State Dec 9
- Kennesaw State hits road seeking upset of Butler Dec 8
- Syracuse handles Kennesaw State in opener Nov 15
- 23rd-ranked Orange eye up Owls in season opener Nov 14
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21