Williams scores 23, Arizona beats Stanford 76-68Jan 29, 2010 - 3:23 AM By BOB BAUM AP Sports Writer
TUCSON, Ariz.(AP) -- Derrick Williams scored 16 of his 23 points in the second half and Arizona held off Stanford 76-68 for the Wildcats' third consecutive victory and fourth in five games.
The 6-foot-8, 235-pound freshman topped 20 points for the fourth game in a row.
Landry Fields scored 31 and Jeremy Green 25 for the Cardinal (10-10, 4-4 Pac-10), who trailed 68-56 after Williams' dunk with 2 1/2 minutes to play.
With Williams on the bench, Stanford cut it to 71-67 on Green's 3-pointer with 27 seconds left before Arizona sealed the victory from the free-throw line.
Kyle Fogg added 15 and Nic Wise 14 for the Wildcats (11-9, 5-3).
Fields, the Pac-10's No. 2 scorer coming off a career-best 32 points against Oregon last weekend, grabbed 11 rebounds but Stanford committed 18 turnovers to Arizona's 10.
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA 76 FINAL
Jan 28 10:09 PM
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA 37 HALFTIME
Jan 28 8:49 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25