Delaney's 27 lead Hokies past Virginia 76-71 in OTJan 29, 2010 - 2:46 AM By HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Malcolm Delaney scored 27 points and Virginia Tech beat Virginia 76-71 in overtime Thursday night after a desperation 3-pointer forced the OT.
The Hokies (16-3, 3-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) trailed 62-52 with 3:44 left in regulation before scoring the next 13 points. Sammy Zeglinski made a contested 25-footer for Virginia (12-6, 3-2) as the clock raced toward 0:00 in regulation, tying the game.
Dorenzo Hudson added 18 points and J.T. Thompson 17 for the Hokies. Thompson scored all but two of his points in the second half and overtime, and also made a key defensive play.
Mike Scott led Virginia with 21 points and Sylven Landesberg had 18.
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 76
VIRGINIA 71 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 28 9:22 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 28
VIRGINIA 27 HALFTIME
Jan 28 7:52 PM
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4