Winthrop defeats Charleston Southern 55-53Jan 29, 2010 - 2:59 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Andre Jones scored 11 points and Winthrop held on to defeat Charleston Southern 55-53 on Thursday night.
The Eagles (10-10, 6-4 Big South Conference) led 44-26 with 15:18 remaining. But the Buccaneers went on a 25-8 run to pull within 52-51. Kelvin Martin's tip-in capped the run with 1:25 to play.
Winthrop's Charles Corbin answered with a jumper with 1:04 left, before Martin hit another basket to make it 54-53 with 32 seconds left.
Mantoris Robinson then missed the front end of a 1-and-1 for the Eagles. Corbin grabbed the offensive rebound, but missed a jump shot. The Eagles grabbed the offensive rebound again and Jones hit a free throw with 11 seconds to go.
Winthrop had 16 offensive rebounds and held the Buccaneers (10-10, 5-5) to just 13 percent shooting in the first half (3 of 23).
Jamarco Warren and Jeremy Sexton scored 15 points each for the Eagles.
- NCAA BB
CHARLESTON SOU 53
WINTHROP 55 FINAL
Jan 28 9:12 PM
- NCAA BB
CHARLESTON SOU 20
WINTHROP 32 HALFTIME
Jan 28 8:02 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Colorado State cruises past Charleston Southern Dec 23
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Baylor holds off Charleston Southern Nov 21
- Plenty of points expected in bout between Bucs and Bears Nov 20
- Bairstow leads Lobos over Buccaneers Nov 17
- Bucs and Lobos mix it up at The Pit Nov 17