UNC-Greensboro defeats Elon 62-55Jan 29, 2010 - 2:27 AM GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Mikko Koivisto scored 17 points to lead North Carolina-Greensboro to a 62-55 victory over Elon on Thursday night.
The Spartans (5-16, 4-6 Southern Conference) held Elon to four points in the final 4:44 as the Phoenix (4-16, 2-7) went 2-for-10 from the field and 0-for-2 from the free throw line during that stretch.
UNC-Greensboro, which has won seven consecutive games against Elon, pulled away with an 8-4 run. Kyle Randall scored on a jumper and Koivisto hit back-to-back 3-pointers for a 56-51 lead with 4:24 left.
Koivisto was 5-for-11 from the 3-point line as the Spartans finished 8-for-17 from beyond the arc (47.1 percent).
Ben Stywall just missed his fifth consecutive double-double, finishing with 14 points and nine rebounds. Randall added 11 points.
Drew Spradlin had 18 points and eight rebounds, and Adam Constantine had 13 points and 11 rebounds for Elon.
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- No. 1 Duke downs Elon to remain unbeaten Dec 20