Fairfield defeats Loyola 73-69Jan 29, 2010 - 2:34 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 23 points and Fairfield defeated Loyola (Md.) 73-69 on Thursday night.
The Stags (15-6, 4-7 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) shot just 39.4 percent from the field (26 of 66), but scored 23 points off 18 turnovers.
The Greyhounds (10-11, 3-8) tied it at 63 on a 3-pointer with 2:05 left, but Sean Crawford's 3 gave Fairfield a 67-64 advantage with 1:41 to play.
Tony Lewis's 3 pulled Loyola within one point 31 seconds later, but the Greyhounds wouldn't pull any closer.
Derek Needham scored 11 points and Crawford added 10 for the Stags, who shot 57.1 percent in the second half (16 of 28).
The Greyhounds shot 52.1 percent from the field (25 of 48), but were outscored in the paint by the Stags 36-22.
Brett Harvey scored 15 points, Tony Lewis added 14 and Robert Olson chipped in 11 for Loyola.
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- Thomas pours in 31 as Ohio State routs Loyola-Maryland Mar 16
- Buckeyes battle Greyhounds to begin tournament run Mar 15
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5