Florida Atlantic holds off South Alabama 70-59Jan 29, 2010 - 4:54 AM MOBILE, Ala.(AP) -- Greg Gantt scored 21 points as Florida Atlantic used two big runs to defeat South Alabama 70-59 on Thursday night and win its fourth straight game.
The Owls (11-10, 7-3 Sun Belt Conference) trailed 16-6 early, then used a 17-3 spurt to lead by four. Florida Atlantic led 29-27 at the half and built 43-35 lead.
South Alabama (12-10, 4-6) pulled even at 50. Tied again at 53 with 5:09 remaining, Gantt hit back-to-back 3s to spark a 13-0 run.
Gantt has scored at least 20 points in five of the last seven games. Sanchez Hughley added 16 points for Florida Atlantic.
The Owls were 10-for-27 from beyond the arc and 25-for-63 (39.7 percent) from the field, compared to 19-for-58 (32.8 percent) shooting by the Jaguars, who have lost three straight.
Tim Williams led South Alabama with 14 points and Philip Tabet had eight points and 10 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
FLA ATLANTIC 70
SOUTH ALABAMA 59 FINAL
Jan 28 10:12 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA ATLANTIC 29
SOUTH ALABAMA 27 HALFTIME
Jan 28 8:59 PM
- Florida State-FAU game delayed twice by problems with basket Dec 19
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- Duke barely breaks a sweat in topping FAU Nov 15
- Blue Devils battle Owls in non-coference fray Nov 15
- South Alabama names Graves new basketball coach Mar 25
- Zeller, Hoosiers cruise past Florida Atlantic Dec 22
- Owls hope to soar past sixth-ranked Hoosiers Dec 21
- South Alabama's Arrow retires Dec 19
- No. 11 North Carolina routs Florida International Nov 11