Rice beats East Carolina 69-58Jan 31, 2010 - 2:22 AM GREENVILLE, N.C.(AP) -- Tamir Jackson and Trey Stanton scored 18 points apiece, leading Rice to a 69-58 win over East Carolina on Saturday night.
Arsalan Kazemi tallied a double-double for the Owls (7-13, 1-6 Conference USA), scoring 14 points and pulling down 14 rebounds. Lucas Kuipers chipped in with 10 points.
Jontae Sherrod dropped in a layup to pull the Pirates within 20-16, but Stanton scored his second bucket in less than 30 seconds for the Owls to start an 11-0 run. The Owls led the rest of the way, taking an 18-point advantage at halftime and hanging on despite being outscored 35-28 in the second.
Darrius Morrow recorded a double-double to lead the Pirates (7-14, 1-6), scoring 20 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.
The Owls, who now share last place with East Carolina in the C-USA, stopped a seven-game losing streak while the Pirates have lost six of their last seven.
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Evans leads Rice to 67-54 win over St. Thomas (Texas) Dec 17
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- No. 11 Texas gets back on track by topping Rice Dec 29
- Lone Star State showdown pits Owls against Longhorns Dec 29
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- UNLV nears two-year extension for Rice Mar 29
- Rice tabs VCU assistant Rhoades as coach Mar 26