Eastern Michigan beats Akron 62-59Feb 2, 2010 - 2:48 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Jay Higgins scored 17 points and Carlos Medlock had four points in the final 51 seconds, leading Eastern Michigan over Akron 62-59 on Monday night.
Higgins also had a late free throw, sandwiched between a layup and a pair of foul shots from Medlock in the final minute. Jimmy Conyers and Steve McNees had a layup apiece in the final 22 seconds for Akron, but it was the first time the Zips scored since taking a 55-54 lead with more than 4 minutes remaining.
Higgins hit a go-ahead 3-pointer to put the Eagles up 57-55 with just under 2 minutes left, and they led the rest of the way.
Antonio Green scored 14 points while Justin Dobbins and Medlock added 12 apiece for the Eagles (11-10, 3-5 Mid-American Conference).
Brett McKnight was the lone Akron (15-7, 5-3) player in double figures, scoring 13 points.
- NCAA BB
EASTRN MICHIGAN 62
AKRON 59 FINAL
Feb 1 9:23 PM
- NCAA BB
EASTRN MICHIGAN 31
AKRON 32 HALFTIME
Feb 1 7:59 PM
- Eastern Michigan cruises past NAIA Rochester (Mich) 86-58 Dec 8
- No. 25 Michigan State beats EMU Dec 18
- Spartans set sights on soaring Eagles Dec 17
- Syracuse cruises past Eastern Michigan Dec 31
- Eagles hoping to soar past second-ranked Orange Dec 31
- Parker, Duke cruise past Eastern Michigan Dec 28
- Ninth-ranked Blue Devils set sights on Eagles Dec 28
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- No. 21 UMass downs Eastern Michigan Dec 3
- Eagles hoping to soar past 21st-ranked Minutemen Dec 3
- Cauley-Stein, No. 3 Kentucky crush Eastern Michigan Nov 27