Prairie View A&M beats Alabama State 56-55Feb 2, 2010 - 3:07 AM MONTGOMERY, Ala.(AP) -- Darnell Hugee hit a jumper with 4 seconds left, propelling Prairie View A&M to a 56-55 win over Alabama State on Monday night.
After Prairie View A&M called a timeout with 11 seconds left, Michael Griffin took the ball for the Panthers' final possession and missed his jumper. But the Panthers (11-9, 6-3 Southwestern Athletic Conference) reclaimed possession, and the team's leading scorer on the night hit the final shot. Hugee finished with 19 points.
Tramaine Butler led the Hornets (9-11, 6-3) with 15 points, and scored the go-ahead basket for Alabama State on a layup with 29 seconds left for a 55-54 lead before Hugee won it for the Panthers. Menji Mundadi also had 15 points for the Hornets.
The Panthers finished 15-for-17 from the foul line (88.2 percent) compared to just a 7-for-12 performance for the Hornets (58.3 percent).
- NCAA BB
PRAIRIE VIEW 56
ALABAMA ST 55 FINAL
Feb 1 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
PRAIRIE VIEW 20
ALABAMA ST 32 HALFTIME
Feb 1 7:56 PM
- Prairie View coach Rimm resigns with Panthers 1-18 Jan 27
- Texas Southern ends Prairie View's Cinderella run, wins SWAC Mar 15
- SWAC title up for grabs in clash between Panthers and Tigers Mar 15
- Wisconsin takes care of Prairie View A&M Dec 28
- Panthers face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Badgers Dec 28
- Southern outlasts Prairie View A&M in SWAC title game Mar 16
- SWAC title on line in bout between Panthers and Jaguars Mar 16
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- Jones shines as Baylor crushes Prairie View A&M Nov 30
- Prairie View comes to Waco to challenge No. 7 Baylor Nov 29
- No. 21 Cincinnati routs Alabama State Nov 14