Rosario helps Rutgers beat St. John's 84-72Feb 3, 2010 - 3:13 AM PISCATAWAY, N.J.(AP) -- Mike Rosario scored a career-high 33 points as Rutgers defeated St. John's 84-72 Tuesday night.
Hamady Ndiaye had 19 points and nine blocks for Rutgers (11-11, 2-8), a school record in a Big East game. Jonathan Mitchell added 18 points for the Scarlet Knights, who have won two straight conference games for the first time in two years.
St. John's (12-9, 2-7), which has lost four straight, got 27 points and nine rebounds from D.J. Kennedy, while Sean Evans had 11 points and Justin Burrell 10.
Rosario's output was the most by a Scarlet Knight since Quincy Douby scored 36 at St. John's on March 5, 2006. Rosario had 21 in the first half, when Rutgers opened its biggest lead at 15. St. John's got within 60-54, but a 9-2 run sealed it for Rutgers.
The last time the Scarlet Knights won two straight Big East games was in January, 2008, when they beat Villanova and Pittsburgh.
- NCAA BB
ST JOHNS 72
RUTGERS 84 FINAL
Feb 2 9:33 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ST. JOHN'S 29 29
RUTGERS 40 40 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
ST. JOHN'S - D.J. KENNEDY 11, SEAN EVANS 6, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 3
RUTGERS - MIKE ROSARIO 21, HAMADY NDIAYE 7, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 5
Feb 2 8:20 PM
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers basketball coach Mar 22
- AP source: Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers coach Mar 19
- Jordan fired as Rutgers basketball coach Mar 10
- Rutgers on verge of winless Big 10 Conference season Mar 3
- Rutgers suspends freshman Corey Sanders Feb 15
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- St. John's center Sima out 4-6 weeks with broken hand Jan 8