Xavier defeats Massachusetts 87-79Feb 4, 2010 - 2:41 AM AMHERST, Mass.(AP) -- Jordan Crawford scored 25 points to help Xavier defeat Massachusetts 87-79 on Wednesday night, staying on top the Atlantic 10 Conference and winning its fourth straight.
The Musketeers (16-6, 8-1) trailed 69-68 with 4:37 to go, before scoring nine unanswered points. Jamel McLean's free throw put Xavier ahead 77-69 with 2:48 left.
The Musketeers, the A10 leader in scoring at 79.8 points per game, outscored the Minutemen 22-6 in the first half to take a 32-19 lead. Crawford's layup capped the run with 8:05 to go until halftime.
Massachusetts (8-14, 2-6) wouldn't lead again until taking a 63-62 advantage on Anthony Gurley's free throws with 7:28 to play.
Terrell Halloway scored 16 points, Jason Love 15 and McLean 14 for the Musketeers.
Ricky Harris paced the Minutemen with 24 points. Javron Farrell added 12, Terrell Vinson 11 and Freddie Riley 10 for Massachusetts.
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26