Last-second shot gives Miami, Ohio 56-54 victoryFeb 5, 2010 - 3:06 AM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- Kenny Hayes hit a long jump shot with less than a second remaining Thursday to give Miami, Ohio a 56-54 victory over Western Michigan.
Hayes finished with 16 points and five assists for the RedHawks (9-13, 6-3 Mid-American). Julian Mavunga added 14 points and seven rebounds, while Antonio Ballard had 10 points and 10 rebounds.
David Kool led Western Michigan (12-10, 4-5) with 19 points and 10 rebounds, and Martelle McLemore added 17 points.
Kool gave the Broncos a 54-52 lead on a jump shot with 1:20 remaining before Antonio Ballard hit two free throws with 1:01 left to tie it back up for the RedHawks. Kool had two more chances to take the lead, but he missed from outside, grabbed his own rebound and missed again at the 0:40 mark, setting up Miami's final possession.
Neither team shot well, with Miami hitting 36.7 percent from the field and Western Michigan 34 percent.
- NCAA BB
MIAMI OH 56
WESTRN MICHIGAN 54 FINAL
Feb 4 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
MIAMI OH 24
WESTRN MICHIGAN 29 HALFTIME
Feb 4 7:57 PM
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- No. 21 Buckeyes overwhelm RedHawks Dec 22
- Buckeyes seek turnaround in clash with RedHawks Dec 22
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Williams, UMass down Miami-Ohio Jan 5
- RedHawks hit road seeking upset of 23rd-ranked Minutemen Jan 4
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15
- Tigers hope to continue perfect run against visiting Broncos Dec 15
- Grant leads No. 21 Notre Dame past Miami-Ohio Nov 9