N. Carolina Central defeats Savannah State 65-60Feb 6, 2010 - 10:34 PM DURHAM, N.C.(AP) -- Dwayne Sims scored 10 of his 15 points in the first half and North Carolina Central snapped a 5-game losing streak on Saturday with a 65-60 win over Savannah State.
C.J. Wilkerson added 13 points and Vincent Davis came off the bench to score 11 for the Eagles (5-20). Sims was 5 of 8 from the field, including 4 of 6 from 3-point range.
The win avenged a two-point overtime loss to the Tigers on Jan. 20.
The Eagles trailed 59-58 with 3:20 left but closed the game on a 7-1 run. Savannah State went the final 3:59 without a field goal, and missed five field goals and four free throws during that stretch.
The game was tight from start to finish as neither team led by more than six points. There were 14 ties and 17 lead changes.
Rashad Hassan led the Tigers (9-14) with 14 points, while Arnold Louis and Tracy Rankins each had 11 and Patrick Hardy added 10.
- Strong first half lifts Maryland past NC Central Dec 10
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 10
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Johnson powers UNC over NC Central Nov 15
- No. 6 North Carolina hosts NC Central Nov 14
- Iowa State cruises by NC Central Mar 22
- NC Central seeks upset of Iowa State Mar 21
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15